The main design philosophy is to keep it technically simple, stable and portable. It will be kept lightweight enough to run on fairly old hardware. It runs playably on a laptop with Intel 945GM graphics.
It is released under the GPL, with the intention that that way it is a lot easier to use by Linux users and people can report and help fix bugs more effectively.
This game is under development, and as of now, the game does not really differ from Minecraft except for having a lot less features. Still, playing is quite fun already, especially for people who have not been able to experience Minecraft.
Just as Minecraft was inspired by other titles, it’ll be interesting to see the directions this goes in as it develops.
Download: [ 55.lt ]
I’m not making it to QuakeCon for the second year in a row, so it’s a little depressing to listen to this new Bethesda Podcast where several people from id Software discuss the event and the company’s history:
Take a trip down memory lane with members of id Software, as they discuss the company’s early years, the magic of QuakeCon, and what fans can expect out of RAGE at this year’s event. Podcast features John Carmack, Tim Willits, Matt Hooper, Marty Stratton, Jonathan Wright, and “id Mom” Donna Jackson.
If you’re going this year, let me know how it is!
This list includes all the popular and free high quality games that runs on Linux natively, from action/first-person shooters to real-time and turn-based strategy games to rpg/mmorpg etc.
I don’t think they’re in any particular order, and it’s cool to see screenshots for each title.
Version 1.1 of Red Eclipse, a Cube Engine 2-based first-person shooter, was released. Red Eclipse lends itself towards balanced gameplay, with a general theme of agility in a variety of environments. HERE ART THOU CHANGES:
- New personalization option to change your character colour. (Popular Demand)
- New power jump (crouch and hold space) and power slide moves (crouch while landing).
- Jetpack has been retooled into a hoverpack, which limits height off the ground. (Popular Demand)
- Physics and weapon tweaks to make the game feel more natural and balanced.
- Must now carry the ball into the goal in Bomber-Ball. (Popular Demand)
- New radar system; the radarstyle variable lets you choose how you want your radar. (Popular Demand)
- New maps; “blink” by Wicked and “error” by blarg.
- New particles and crosshairs. (Popular Demand)
- Work in progress league mutator, the beginnings of class-based gameplay.
- Elimination of all poorly licensed content, should now be DFSG compliant.
- Many bug fixes; voting menu works, etc.
Download: [ redeclipse.net ]