The free premium access this week will grant all users the same features that our Premium members have:
- Join premium matches to play on any of the 20 new arenas,
- Play the premium-only FreezeTag game type,
- Create clans, and join more than one clan,
- Connect to matches without seeing a pre-game advertisement
Additionally, purchasers of a Premium or Pro subscription will receive a free, transferable, one-month token.
There has some extremely positive response (as can be seen on the game’s page and at meta critic) and we are extremely happy about this. From all the graded reviews so far, all but three have been 80+ (about half of these 90+) and interestingly two of the less positive ones had has a major complaint that there was too much horror in the game. Which in a way makes us happy as well…
The response we got from the game is a lot better than we expected, yet the sales are only “good” according to our, much more modest, expected response. This makes us wonder what sales we would have gotten if the response would have been more like what we thought it would be. If this is our time in the spotlight, then a lot less noticed game would probably put us out of business. As it looks now, we still have to be quite careful in budgeting our next game (although much less careful than what we had to be with Amnesia). We were hoping a really successful release would makes 100% unworried about finances, but that is not what has happened.
It’s also mentioned that Linux purchases have run at about 5% of total sales, on par with the Mac edition.
Demo Download: [ amnesiagame.com ]
- New installer for the game which includes console and tiles versions.
- Heavy armour has been partially de-nerfed. (You can stop crying if you want, but you don’t have to.)
- Dungeon Sprint now a part of the official build. Get angry, faster!
- New tutorial! The old tutorial is available as a “hints mode” for the main game.
- New tileset with improved effects.
- Removed instant stat death. (Now you can just be horribly crippled.)
- Removed extraneous character backgrounds: Thieves and Death Knights.
- New monsters: elephant, dire elephant, hellephant, spriggan, spriggan druid, spriggan firefly rider.
If you haven’t been able to get into roguelikes before, I highly recommend giving this one a shot, as it has a tutorial mode(!) and non-frustrating gameplay. If you need more info, the knowledge bots are a good source.
Download: [ develz.org ]
The latest development release of Wine has been announced. New items in this release include:
- Improved support for right-to-left text.
- Support for CMYK JPEG images.
- Beginnings of a Game Explorer implementation.
- Improved 64-bit support in MSI.
- Stub inetcpl control panel applet.
- A number of fixes to crypto support.
- Translation updates.
- Various bug fixes.
Download: [ Wine 1.3.3 ]
Spring, the open source real-time strategy game engine inspired by Total Annihilation, has had a few releases in recent weeks to add various improvements and bugfixes (release discussion can be found on their forums).
If you’re new to Spring, there many free (in both senses) games using the engine:
If you need additional info, check the wiki!
Download: [ springrts.com ]
Warp Speed gets its second pre-alpha release! We also have a video with the ingame footage and badass killer voice of mine for you!
Apologies for such a huge gap in the updates! We had to shut up for a while and concentrate on work. Focused as never before we’ve generated such a huge gap between the last release and this one that it literally got beyond our comprehension! BTW. This update was originally scheduled for the end of August:P
We’ve got an update on everything, textures, gfx, engine, EVERYTHING!
Download: [ warpspeedgame.com ]
We at Frictional Games are happy to announce that Amnesia: The Dark Descent has gone gold. We are extremely pleased with our creation and cannot wait to unleash our bundle of madness on the 8th of September. We feel that we have taken a giant leap forward compared to our previous games, the Penumbra series.
Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a first person horror game with a focus on immersion. It is a game where atmosphere and story comes first. We hope that the game will be a breeze of fresh air, in a genre otherwise populated by “one-man-army action hero” sagas. In Amnesia you are almost completely defenseless, something we believe not only makes the game a lot scarier, but also gives a vastly different experience.
On the 8th of September, an interactive nightmare where reality is a fragile concept awaits.
Do you have what it takes to survive?
Details – Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Available: http://store.frictionalgames.com and most major online retailers.
Languages: English – with localized text for French, German, Italian & Spanish.
Recommended Computer Specifications:
- Linux distribution released in 2010.
- NVIDIA GeForce 6 / ATI Radeon HD.
- 2.0 Ghz CPU.
- 2 GB RAM.
- 2.5 GB Free hard disk space.
Frictional Games have also released a demo showcasing part of the title.
Let me know what you think of the demo in the comments!
Demo Download: [ amnesiagame.com ]
- Planets now have only a single focus selection as secondary focus settings and the balanced focus option were removed.
- Scriptable species definitions have been added.
- Species now have names, icons, focus settings, environmental preferences, food consumption and effects associated with them.
- Various stringtable changes / updates have been made.
- Hull designs now have new backgrounds.
- The meter concept has also been modified.
Download: [ sourceforge.net ]