Version 1.6 of The Battle for Wesnoth, the lauded open source fantasy-themed turn-based strategy game, has been released with new campaign features, an improved multiplayer lobby, new unit portraits, new music, and an improved map editor. Additionally:
We hope there are no bugs left, but if you find any, report them. We are also looking for help in several areas, so that many other releases of similar caliber can follow this one. We are especially looking for translators, graphic artists (sprite, portraits, terrain, story images), music composers (a background in classical composition, and good equipment required), sound artists (for special effects), authors (writing/maintaining campaigns, creating content like unit descriptions, improving the ingame help) and, of course, coders. If you want to participate in developing Wesnoth, just have a look at the forum or visit us in the IRC channel #wesnoth-dev on irc.freenode.net.
Gizmodo has linked a demo video of the first complete Pandora open-source handheld game console, which was available for pre-ordering ($329.99 US) last fall. Developed through internet forum discussion, the hardware specs are:
- ARM® Cortex™-A8 600Mhz+ CPU running Linux
- 430-MHz TMS320C64x+™ DSP Core
- PowerVR SGX OpenGL 2.0 ES compliant 3D hardware
- 800×480 4.3″ 16.7 million colours touchscreen LCD
- Wifi 802.11b/g, Bluetooth & High Speed USB 2.0 Host
- Dual SDHC card slots & SVideo TV output
- Dual Analogue and Digital gaming controls
- 43 button QWERTY and numeric keypad
- Around 10+ Hours battery life
Illwinter Game Design released the version 3.23b patch for the turn-based strategy game Dominions 3: The Awakening; you can read the changelog which delineates the various bugfixes, including a cheat detection fix. If you’re not familiar with the game, this “Let’s Play!” thread at the Something Awful forums is a good primer.
Download: [ shrapnelgames.com ]
Sorry about the lack of updates recently; working to get back up to speed ASAP. Thank you for your patience!
After running for 6 weeks the winners of the YoFrankie level design competition have been announced. Checkout the web page for screenshots and download links.
This is especially interesting because all the levels were made by artists however they contain some fairly advanced game logic using blenders logic bricks and basic python scripting.
Bill Kendrick of New Breed Software sent in the following request for assistance:
It utilizes cellular automata to allow for literally hundreds or thousands of enemies on the map. The current alpha version has rudimentary graphics, no sound, and only one partial map, but supports 1-4 players on the same system, using keyboard and/or joysticks.
FOP is open source (GPL), and is already fun to play. The project is looking for artists to create all new artwork, and map designers to create some fun dungeons to crawl. Contact Bill Kendrick if you’d like to help out!
The latest development release of Wine has been released. This 1.1.17 has the following changes:
- Joystick support on Mac OS X.
- Implementation of iphlpapi on Solaris.
- A number of 64-bit improvements.
- Obsolete LinuxThreads support has been removed.
- Many fixes to the regression tests on Windows.
- Various bug fixes.
Download: [ Wine 1.1.17 ]
Download: [ sourceforge.net ]
Edit: Well crap, looks like this release doesn’t have a Linux build for download – I’ll see if a SVN snapshot works at some point. Sorry about that.
Your goal is to establish a successful transport company. Transport passengers, mail and goods by rail, road, ship, and even air. Interconnect districts, cities, public buildings, industries and tourist attractions by buiding a transport network you always dreamed of.
Download: [ simutrans.com ]
A bugfix version of Scorched3D is out; version 42.1 adds:
- Changed skill formula to have less fluctuations (more stable skill)
- Fixed unicode names in server web console
- Added more LUA scripting functions
- Changes for 64bit compiler compatability
- Changes for gcc version 3.4 compatability
- Fixed server sending too many messages to the client
Scorched3D is a 3D remake of the classic game Scorched Earth, where artillery pieces lob shells at one another across varied terrain.
- New skins with new animations
- New sounds thanks to Bebelious
- Better team menu editor
- New game interface
- Small AI enhancements
- Fix crash when leaving options menu during a game
- Fix crash when checking for new version without internet connection
- Fix some small graphical bugs