Did I say a few days? :) Here are some updated files for the demo. It fixes all known bugs. http://icculus.org/prey/downloads/prey-demo-latest-files.tar.bz2 Bugs fixed: - Stencil shadows now render. - Updated to SDL 1.2.13. - Uses PulseAudio if available, ALSA if not, OSS if not. - Can do 5.1 surround sound (if your system supports it). - Fixed video memory detection on Nvidia, ATI, DRI drivers. - Fixed problems launching web browser. - Installer can completely run from the command line without interaction, for automation purposes (but it's a self-extracting zip file, anyhow, if you prefer that route). - Installer fully localized to Spanish. - Other l18n fixes, compliments of the fine folks at launchpad.net. To install, just unpack and overwrite the appropriate files in your existing install. Full game will be out very soon...mostly I just want confirmation that I didn't screw up the ATI video memory detection. :)
A reader let us know about the following:
Epic Rocks is a classic arcade game where you have to survive in an asteroid field for as long as possible. The game is only about getting the highest score and is designed for quick, fast gameplay. There are six different levels with various hazards to avoid, four different ships to command and a bunch of special weapons to utilize, including the devastating Beam Saber and the experimental Gravity Mine. Also included are a lot of flashy special effects and pumping music.
Mystic Mine will feature a multiplayer mode that allows up to 6 simultaneous players on 1 keyboard. Each player only needs one button to switch the track in front of their goldcar. By colliding into another car, you can steel diamonds and other valuables, or pass the dynamite before it explodes. Together with friends and family you can enjoy playing this game on Windows, Mac or Linux (of course!). Try to collect the most points and win the game!
We have received the following press release from Frictional Games for Penumbra: Requiem:
About Penumbra: Requiem
Requiem is a puzzle expansion for Penumbra: Black Plague. The game contains numerous physics based puzzles, spread out over 9 levels with unique settings. The expansion pushes the graphics capabilities of the game as far as it can – while creating the most detailed and dreading environments yet in a Penumbra game.
The expansion gives extra details to the characters from previous Penumbra games, taking peeks into their final moments of insanity.
Special Linux Deal
Driven completely insane from creating the Penumbra games, Frictional Games is offering all three Penumbra games as a collection at a horrific price of USD 35. This offer is available through the online store and is for Mac & Linux only. Just select all three games for the the single platform and a discount will be added.
Frictional Games Store: store.frictionalgames.com
Last year we hosted our first annual Linux Graphics Survey as really the only study that’s been done to get a better understanding what the Linux community is using in their computers to fulfill their graphics needs, what their key interests are, and where they are looking for improvements. We’re hosting this survey once again so we ask that between now and December 15 you take a few minutes to vote […]
On February 13th 2009 the persistent 4X-MMOG Celetania will be coming out – and as a sneak preview Vulcando Games has released the long awaited trailer!The two minute trailer will include the history of the patriarchal Celetanians which have abandoned the universe they had been controlling, to the younger races such as the S.E.C.C.T.S. and the Grogg.
On the Celetania web page you will be able to download the movie in four languages and two different qualities or directly watch it in your browser: http://www.celetania.com/download.php.
Go Ollie! is the latest in innovative mouse controlled platform gaming featuring a unique fusion of platform and match three gaming mechanics and comes with beautifully rendered scenes and animations.
Go Ollie! is free software and powered by tuxcap.
Download: [ tweeler.com ]
Thanks to vadi4 for pointing out Finity Flight: Fight Back:
We are proud to present not only the first commercial game available on MirthKit, but the first commercial game ever to be released with full source code.
Available on Ubuntu, Windows, and soon OSX, Fight Back is the expansion to our August release, Finity Flight, and represents a path yet-untraveled for gaming. It is the first direct hybridization of commerce and the open source philosophy.
Finity Flight: Fight Back is not open source, but it comes close. When you buy Fight Back for $11.99, you automatically receive all of its code and assets. You are free to modify the game as much as you please.
The reason it is not justifiable to say Fight Back is open source is because you are only allowed to be redistribute changes through MirthKit’s arcade. To reiterate, you are always free to publish your changes through MirthKit (you can even sell them), but users will have to gain access to your work by first purchasing the original game.
The Annchienta project has released the svn781 version of the “Fall of Imiryn” series, a role-playing game with a Active Time Battle system, resembling to those seen in older Final Fantasy games. Updates include:
- Beatiful terraforming system.
- Intruiging storyline.
- New and updated graphics.
- Fixed compilation issues.
Download: [ Annchienta svn781 ]
Linux Game Publishing sent in the following announcements (apologies for the delay in posting it):
Today, we have made the decision to do some good with the extremely sought-after #1 copy of X3: Reunion – Special Edition. We have assigned #1 as a special For Charity Auction on Ebay, with the proceeds going to the EFF. We ask all of our customers to consider bidding on this auction and raising money for a great cause.
- New single player quests and multiplayer islands, where you can earn points to spend on new warriors, buildings and Viking clothing!
- Fun changeable avatars where you can design your own Viking look.
- Enhanced warriors with more diverse skills.
List of changes
Unit and building changes:
- The iron warrior is now known as a Berserker. He is a fast close combat warrior that uses his axe as a melee weapon instead of throwing it.
- The chicken warrior is now known as a Chicken Punisher. His axe no longer requires rock and iron, and it stuns enemies it fails to kill.
- The rock warrior is now known as an Axeman. Changes to his skills will come later.
- The chieftain is now known as a Lur Blaster. You are the chieftain now! He now regenerates health over time. The Lur Blaster will get more skills later.
- The peon is now known as a Peasant.
- The tower can be built in half the time but withstand the same amount of damage.
- Customizable male and female faces.
- Clothes and helmets available in the shop.
- Multiplayer maps are hand drawn to be as fair as possible. Players chose their position from the beginning.
- Central management of resource gathering lets you recall peasants from within the armory.
- New keyboard shortcuts which can be found on tribaltrouble2.com/reference
- You can now place buildings on top of you own men – they will simply move out of the way.
- Attacking is impossible in the beginning of the game to stop rushing.
- You can move the view longer away from the island to get a better view of everything.
- A new grouping system lets you create and select whole groups of units easier.
- Resources respawn in a more fair way.
- Chickens always spawn in predefined areas to make maps more fair.
- There is a new game speed in between “Fast” and “Ludicrous” called “Faster”.
- Return of the natives.
- More quests.
- More multiplayer maps.
- More special attacks for the Lur Blaster.
- More avatar clothing.
- An option for trading points and oddies with other players.
- …and much more!
2.5 Deploy is a Deploy Client for America’s Army, It is designed to make the process of Installing and getting up and running with AA as easy as possible.
If you are new to the game this little Application will fully automate the download and installation of the game from it’s own repository server and handle all the needed updates and checks. It will then guide you through the process of creating an account and then load your account details automatically when you first play.
Getting up and running with this free game is now as easy as a few clicks of the mouse.
If you already have America’s Army 2.5 this Application will make a copy of your existing installation and put it into a completely separate folder so it does not alter your existing installation and then bring everything up-to date. Once you are happy you may delete your old installation of AA if you wish.
After a lengthy hiatus, I’ve returned to clear out our now-molding news queue. Please let me know if there’s anything I’ve missed these past few weeks, and thanks!
The creators of TeamSpeak are moving forward with their upcoming version of a cross-platform Voice Communication Tool dubbed TeamSpeak 3. They have put out a request for Alpha Testers.but they are only looking for Linux and Mac OS X users at this point in time.. Additional information can be found here on their Developer Blog entry where the call for testers is put out.
This post was submitted by pwk.
If you have some spare cycles and are a reliable coder, you might be interested in helping out Portalized project. What is the Portalized project you may ask:
Portalized is a game project currently in development by a two-man strong team. It aims to be create a unique puzzle-solving experience using heavily stylized viusals and uncommon gameplay elements. The game was initially started by Nullsquared as a tech-demo for showing off portals using the OGRE3D graphics engine. Null’s announcement on the Facepunch and OGRE3D forums caught the attention of many people including the second team member, Svenstaro, who quickly got into contact with Null and, having previous project experience, suggested to create an actual game. This is how we got started.
This post was submitted by vadi4.
A new version of Hedgewars has been released. The changelog for this release includes the following items.
- A completely redesigned, redrawn frontend, built to be both prettier and easier to use.
- Completely reworked netplay, supports players joining and leaving games in progress
- Admin controls for network play
- A new, official central dedicated server, allowing mutiple “rooms” per server, a multiplayer lobby for matchmaking
- The ability to customize your team in exciting new ways, including the ability to customize the visual look of your hedgehogs
- New maps, themes, and graphics, a huge addition to content
- New weapons, gameplay mechanics and game options. New super weapons that you will find only in crates
- New working flames that damage hedgehogs and corrode the terrain
- New sounds, music and media
- Atmostrophic’s chat border
Download: [ Hedgewars 0.9.7 ]
This post was submitted by jay.
The latest development of Wine has been released into the wild.
Changes and new features in this release includes the following items:
- Substantial parts of inetcomm implemented (for Outlook).
- Still better crypt32 support.
- Memory management improvements.
- Theming support for buttons.
- Various bug fixes.
Download: [ Wine 1.1.8 ]