There’s a new
IGN: Will they pilot vehicles and hop in with multiple peoplein a vehicle?
John Dean: Yeah, they’re basically going to be able to do anything you as aplayer can imagine you would want to do or could do. They’ll drive around invehicles, they’ll team up, you’ll see a bot driving around in a tank andanother bot riding around in a turret blasting any enemies that they see.You’ll see bots flying around harassing ground units, harassing vehicles,attacking other air vehicles. You’ll see bots everywhere doing everything,anything you could imagine yourself doing.
There’s a new
- chg: net_clientPredictWeaponSwitch defaults to 0
If you experience bogus weapon switches, set this to the new defaultvalue.
- fix: “scoreboard bug” with spectators shown as in game after changingto spectator
- fix: spectimers no longer vanish after a serverMapRestart
Download: [ q4max.com ]
The next id Software-produced titleslated for release is EnemyTerritory: Quake Wars, a multiplayer first-person shooter being developedby Splash Damage (who alsodeveloped Wolfenstein:Enemy Territory). ET: Quake Wars is set prior to Quake 2 and 4, duringthe initial Strogg invasion of Earth.
The biggest news is that a Windows semi-public beta test has begun;however, there are
That said, Timothee Besset
I don’t want to commit to any schedule for the ETQW Linux client at thispoint. Most of my time is spent working on the game itself, on the Linuxdedicated server and on the network infrastructure.
Once those things wind down (in the upcoming weeks) I will start workingspecifically on the client. But fear not, ATI and NVidia have expressedinterest in getting a Linux client early, so they can review how it performsand get their drivers adjusted. When we release, we’ll release a high qualityproduct, just like we do on Windows.
In any case, don’t expect to find Linux binaries on the retail DVD. It’s hardenough for everyone to get gold masters done, there are enough things to checkand worry about, I will not place additional strain on the procedure by tryingto squeeze my additional set of files on there.
In the meantime, there’s the official ETQW
id Software has released a new Quake 4 multiplayer demo based on the recent 1.4.2 point release patch. The demo comes with three maps: Verticon (q4xtourney2), Over the Edge (q4dm7) and Speed Trap (q4ctf3).
It’s also noted that the demo is not compatible with any other versions of Quake 4, including the retail edition; you’ll only be able to play against other v1.4.2 demo users.
Download: [ idsoftware.com ] [ 3D Downloads ]
Warzone 2100 version 2.0.7 has been released to fix several remaining crashes and add a few config options for convenience:
- Access to the new Lobbyserver (When joining a game, leave the IP field empty to get a list of available games)
- Screenshots are now saved as PNGs for better quality
- Configurable framerate limit (eg. for laptop users)
- Linux AutoPackage should work better
- Crash and security fixes
It’s been a good while since we’ve mentioned this project, so here it isagain: Sauerbraten, which uses thesecond iteration of the Cubeengine, is an open-source singleplayer/multiplayer first-person shooter.Cooperative in-game level editing is also supported.
Screenshots: [ View ]Download: [
The blog kahvipapuposted a three-part article profiling Linux games:
Retrospectiveand First-PersonShooters StrategyGames I StrategyGames II
Each section has screenshots and a description of the the delineated titles.
- Several new engines and thus new games supported:
- Sierra On-Line AGI engine (with the integration of the inactive Sarien project): The Black Cauldron, Gold Rush!, King’s Quest: Quest for the Crown, King’s Quest II: Romancing the Throne, King’s Quest III: To Heir is Human, King’s Quest IV: The Perils of Rosella, Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards, Manhunter: New York, Manhunter 2: San Francisco, Mixed-Up Mother Goose, Police Quest: In Pursuit of the Death Angel, Space Quest: The Sarien Encounter, Space Quest II: Vohaul’s Revenge and a vast number of fan-made games
- Delphine Software International Cinématique engine: Future Wars: Adventures in Time
- Coktel Vision Gob engine: Bargon Attack, Gobliins 2, Goblins 3, Ween: The Prophecy
- Adventure Soft AGOS engine: Simon the Sorcerer’s Puzzle Pack
- Dynabyte Software Parallaction engine: Nippon Safes Inc.
- Clipper Software Touche engine: Touché: The Adventures of the Fifth Musketeer.
- Some already supported games for different platforms have been added as well.
- DXA movies (higher quality than MPEG2) can be compressed better now and can be used for the Broken Sword cutscenes.
- Added ‘Mass Add’ feature to the Launcher, which allows you to scan for all games in all subdirectories of a given directory (to use it, press shift then click on “Add Game”).
Two Quake 4-related items today:
- Version 0.78c of Q4MAX, a competition-targeted mod, was released for Q4 v1.4.2. New features: si_fps defaults to 90 for duels, and 60 in other modes, and mappers can now use abattlesuit powerup.
- A neat beta singleplayer map was released which pits the player and a NPCsquad against hordes of puking zombies:
I would love to get either NVIDIA and ATI to actually give us the specs on the drivers we want or let’s just reverse engineer everything and do it ourselves. I would like to see you guys do that. Because I think that I am just so tired of this conversation and before what we would do is we would just do it. Then people would say oh well there’s free drivers out there, more people are using it, we’ll open source our drivers so the users will use our driver and at least get the best experience.
Last week the first open-source ATI R500 (Radeon X1000 series) driver had entered the world. This new driver (named the xf86-video-avivo) is very early into development, but a small set of developers have been working on reverse engineering this GPU class for the past couple of months. This driver does not yet contain any 3D functionality or support for features that most end-users expect. At this point, the driver just contains very basic initialization and set video mode support for a portion of the Radeon X1000 family. Even with this very basic R500 driver, we couldn’t help but to explore the Avivo driver for the past few days.
Aleph One 0.18.0 was released lastmonth; here’s Aleph One is an open source engine derived from the
Download: [ bungie.org ]
Aleph One is an open source engine derived from the
Version 1.24 of Vavoom has been released. Vavoom is a Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Strife source port that features a polygonal software and OpenGL renderer with colored lighting, translucency, freelook, a scripting language, and a pure client/server architecture. Changes include:
- Enhancements to the VavoomC scripting language
- Support for sprites with 16 rotations
- Internal blockmap builder
- Support for compressed GL-nodes
- Refined hitboxes,
- Optimized sound and network code
- Configurable fps caps
- Weapon balancing
- Server direct autodownloading
- Addonpak fixes
More information can be found in the README; additionally, there’s an official Linux FAQ. It’s also mentioned that a new multiplayer demo is due for release in the near-term.
Note that you’ll need the 1.4.2 client to play with other users who’ve updated; the mod SDK is up, as always, at idDevNet.
Download: [ idsoftware.com ]
Epiphany is a multiplatform, GPL’ed clone of the game Boulderdash. It now utilizes the Simple DirectMedia Layer; the player must collect all valuable minerals scattered in levels, while avoiding being hit by a falling boulder or a bomb. Other changes in version 0.6.0 include code refactoring, autotools support, major bug fixes, and 10 new levels.
Download: [ sourceforge.net ]