The ever PC game developer, Running With Scissors, updated their website with news of a Postal “Fudge Pack”, including all current Postal (1, 2) games, expansion packs, and some fan-made content. This seems to imply that Postal 1 is also included, which is kind of surprising since it has been out of print since the day the Loki died. Available on DVD-Rom only. Ryan “i-unit” Gordon has also updated his .plan with the news:
Here’s damned near everything you’d want from Postal on one dual-layer DVD: Postal 1, Postal 2: Share the Pain, Apocalypse Weekend, A Week in Paradise (aka “AW7″), and Eternal Damnation. One disc gets you all this for Linux, Windows and Mac OS X.
Name/Version: Balder2D 1.0 rc1
Summary: In Balder2D, players control small probes which shoot tiny projectiles with which they try to destroy each other. It features a 2D overhead view of the playing field. Probes may be human or computer controlled.
Screenshots [ View ] Download [ Balder2D 1.0 rc1 ]
Name/Version: QGameX 1.0.2
Summary: QGameX is a tool for launching games in a separated X11 session. It has a configuration GUI (QT 4), which is used for profile generation by setting certain options (see screenshots). The game itself can be simply run later by PROFILE=myprofile qgamex game-command game-args.
Screenshots [ View ] Download [ QGameX 1.0.2 ]
Name/Version: Stax 1.33
Summary: Stax is a free puzzle game for Windows, DOS, and Linux. It is licensed under the GNU General Public License. If you want to compile it from source code you will need Allegro.
Screenshots [ View ] Download [ Stax 1.33 ]
Name/Version: Xcpc 20061113
Summary: Xcpc is a portable Amstrad CPC464/CPC664/CPC6128 Emulator written in C. The Amstrad CPC is a 8-bit computer produced between the mid 80′s and the early 90′s by Amstrad plc.
Screenshots [ View ] Download [ Xcpc 20061113 ]
- Open Source Java – articles and community links
- OpenJDK – repository for the open implementation of the Java platform
Currently, source code is available for javac and the Hotspot virtual machine; additional source code is promised for 2007/Download: [ sun.com ]
ATI has released HLSL2GLSL, an open source library that converts DirectX 9 HLSL shaders to the OpenGL Shading Language. The download comes with documentation and a library file (which works with input HLSL shaders up to Shader Model 3.0), as well as a standalone command line application that converts bits of HLSL code into GLSL instead. HLSL2GLSL generates either GLSL v1.10.59 desktop OpenGL shaders or shaders that are usable with the OpenGL ES Shading Language 1.00.
Download Source: [ sourceforge.net ]
Over at QJ.net they’ve got the scoop on instructions for installing alternative operating systems on the Playstation 3! Looks like nothing is going to hold us back on this Playstation 3 Linux.
- Added initial support for GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap
- Added new “Display Configuration” page in nvidia-settings
- Improved workstation OpenGL performance in Xinerama
- Added support for NVIDIA Quadro Plex
- Added support for Quad SLI
- Improved X driver error recovery
- Improved workstation overlay performance
- Added SMBus functionality to the Linux/i2c interface
- Fixed DFP scaling support
- Added support for OpenGL 2.1
- Added new “TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder” X configuration option to control the order of display devices when in TwinView
- Fixed some problems related to TV Out
- Added new NVIDIA logo artwork to nvidia-settings and X driver splashscreen; the X driver splashscreen can now be configured with the new “LogoPath” X configuration option
It’s a bit sad that such a fine open source game is easier to install on Windows than it is to install onto many Linux systems. So, hopefully this article will address that issue.
Slash’EM is a fork of NetHack with an optional graphical interface.
TORCS is now at version 1.3.0. The Open Racing Car Simulator is a highly portable multi-platform car racing simulation used as an ordinary car racing game, an AI racer, and as research platform. The new release features reworked and new tracks and cars; additional info can be found in the release notes.
Screenshots: [ View ] Download: [ sourceforge.net ]
Version 0.55 of Stendhal, amultiplayer online adventure game (MMORPG) developed using the Arianne game development system, has been released.New features in this release include the following items:
- improved language of nearly all NPCs
- smart updater for future versions (so that you do not have to download the complete client on every new version)
- Semos Mine Town Revival Weeks
- new quest: reverse arrow
- game masters can get invisible (but there name is still displayed)
- game masters can walk through walls
Download: [ Stendhal 0.55 ]
- Backup registration server
- More/improved scoring calculations
- Dynamic lighting calculations for trees and models
- Multi-kill logging and bonuses
- Users can draw in the plan window to send tactics to other team players
- Tank tracks drawn during movement
Download: [ Scorched3D 40.1b ]
Mars, Land of No Mercy, a turn-based strategy game setting on Mars during the early stages of human colonization, has been updated to release 0.2.0. New features in this release include:
- Switch graphic mode at runtime
- Data stored in XML files
- Vertical Flip of the scene
FreeCol, an open source project that is providing a free Colonization clone, has been updated to release 0.5.1. Changes in this release include:
- The installer now adds a shortcut for starting the game in windowed mode.
- New graphics for displaying unit paths.
- Borders for the main menu.
- Some of the panels have been improved.
- Tons of bugfixes.
Download: [ FreeCol 0.5.1 ]
The developers let us know they’ve released a Dirk Dashing update for Linux, to fix several bugs found by Linux gamers:
- Fixed a problem with the game locking up on some distributions, such as Linspire, Freespire, and Debian
- Fixed a few smooth scrolling issues on some distributions when vsync is enabled
- Reduced memory usage by not loading tutorial screens until needed
- Fixed keyboard/gamepad navigation on Save Game screen
- Fixed Load Game screen not staying in sync with Save Game screen when saving to any slot below slot #1
- Fixed so you can’t keep shooting grenade launcher after you’ve run out of ammo (and then are stuck with the grenade launcher)
- Fixed problem with thug in the upper left corner of cave chapter 1-3
Download: [ swmirror.com ]
A reader pointed out this Linux thread at BioWare’s message boards where interested gamers can discuss their desire for a port of Dragon Age, their next RPG. BioWare developed Neverwinter Nights and ported it to Linux, but there’s been no official word yet on whether DA will receive the same treatment.
There’s also a preview of Dragon Age up @ 1up.com.
Sorry folks, #7 is MIA due to hardware failure. Your Linux Games Podcast will return as soon as possible. During this hiatus, I suggest you check out our older episodes.