A beta 0.2.2 build was released by the Bug reports can be made
Warzone 2100 2.0 Beta 0.2.2 Download: [
Bug reports can be made
Linux Game Publishing posted this unfortunate news to their site today:
Linux Game Publishing today announces that we have cancelled our contract to publish the Linux version of Northland, due to technical issues with the Linux version of the game that could not be resolved to our satisfaction.Anyone that is still interested in this game will still be able to order it (minus the unported multiplayer section) direct from Runesoft who have done the porting work on the portion of the game that will be released by them shortly.This decision by LGP in no way affects the other products from Runesoft, such as Software Tycoon or the upcoming Knights and Merchants.
Release 1.2 of Nexuiz, an open-source first-person-shooter based on the Quake 1 source, has been released. This update brings several new features including:
- CTF, Domination and Teamplay gamemodes now are fully supported.
- Completely new Runematch gamemode.
- Reduced falldamage due to popular demand.
- Two new maps (for the CTF game mode).
- Selecting gamemodes now works by selecting a map.
Download: [ Nexuiz 1.2 ]
Our very own Marvin Malkowski Jr, leader of the evil Decepticons, notified us about his addictive new site, ToyBattle. Where-in toys do battle to the DEATH! I really got into toybattle when I saw a TransFormer I had when I was younger, Shockwave. It had been my favorite toy for a long time, though I had forgotten until I saw him fighting on toybattle.
Readers who submit news via the web form will be greeted by the unfortunate face of that neccessary evil; the captcha. LinuxGames’ staff would like to apologize for this new obstacle in your path to submitting news. Recently, the submission form has been inundated with bogus submissions, flooding your friendly-neighborhood-editor man’s e-mail inbox and submission bin. Please feel free to grouse in the comments, and remember that you can still e-mail us.
- LoreCon2005 was recently held in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania for
Dark Horizons Loreplayers (demodownload | retailordering page); a recap of the eventis up at Quad Rebel Force.
- The sessions andspeakersfor the
Indie GamesConference 2005 have been announced; Ryan “ icculus” Gordon is among them, althoughhe’s slated to be discussing OSX game development. The conferencetakes place in Eugene, Oregon, from October 7th through the9th; you can register for it onlinehere.
- Finally, there will be a TorqueBoot Camp at the Indie Games Con, which will be a seminar to introducedevelopers to the TorqueGame Engine, which has a Linux codebase and can belicensed for $100 USD.
Version 1.43 of GISH, an award-winning2D platformer, has been released by
Also, there’s an
Gish 1.43 Download: [
Version 1.2.9 of the Simple DirectMediaLayer, a multimedia API utilized in many Linux game projects, has beenreleased. Changes include:
- Added support for direct color 8-bpp surfaces
- Altivec optimized blitters
- Fixed short read problem with SDL_RWFromMem()
- SDL_OPENGLBLIT is officially obsolete
SDL 1.2.9 Download: [
After a long year of hard work, version 0.5 of Mupen64, has been released. Mupen64, for the unknowing, is a multi operating system Nintendo 64 emulator. Changes with this release is quite long, with the Linux ones shown below:
- GUI and all plugins have been switched to GKT2 (all old plugins should be recompiled for GTK2)
- detection of GTK 1.2 or GTK 2 in the configure script : if both are detected, the user can choose which one to use
- configure script rewritten so that it’s compatible with standard unix shells instead of bash
- much improved multi-user install support : if multi-user is choosen in configure script, mupen64 should be compiled (“make”) and installed (“make install”). Then, when a user launch mupen64, it will create automatically a .mupen64 folder in his home and put all required files there.
- language saved and restored correctly when quitting mupen64
- the console version (mupen64_nogui) has command line support and can read settings from the gui version config file thanks to jogibear’s patch
- autoincrement save slot option when quick saving (thanks to jdratlif’s patch)
- speed limiter in the core
- support for plugin configuration changes when a rom is running
Download: [ Mupen64 0.5 ]
Ryan “FlyingIcculusMonster” Gordon updated his .plan with news of bunny-murder-simulator Lugaru‘s release for Linux. The game is available as a downloadable demo which can be transformed into the full game after an online purchase. Gordon also shares his opinion on the recent Quake 3 source release:
If you haven’t been paying attention, the source code to Quake 3 Arena was released a few days ago under the GPL license. Do yourself a favor and grab a copy. Learn how it works, and then make something beautiful with it.
Q3A is probably one of my favorite codebases to have had the honor to work with. There’s just so many places where you get these “holy shit, that’s a brilliant idea” moments. I don’t know what Doom 3 looks like under the hood, but Quake 3 was a real marvel of engineering as much as anything else.
As always, three cheers to John Carmack for being a True Believer and putting this out there!
- Added support for 2.6.12 series kernels
- nvnet forced mode operation
- nvnet handling of packets with length field errors
- nvsound operation with Skype
- nvsound operation with Xine
The Last Man Standing site was updatedrecently with a laundry list of features slated for version 2.0 of the There’s also a
Finally, it was mentioned that Kaiser has released a single-player map for DOOM III called “
There’s also a
Game-Arena Entertainment let us know that the website for Age of Darkness, their MMORPG title being developed for Linux and other platforms, has launched @ http://www.ageofdarkness.org/. At the site you can find screenshots and a notice concerning an IRC chat with the developers scheduled for this Friday, August 26th, @ 7:00PM CDT on irc.maxgaming.net #ageofdarkness. It’s also mentioned that they will be giving away a limited number of Alpha test accounts to community members who sign up for the forums (15) or attend the chat (2).
Brian Hook has written a book introducing techniques for writing code that iseasily ported across multiple operating systems and architectures: More information (including where to order) can be found
More information (including where to order) can be found
- integration of the new effects to the game
- moving camera
- larger levels
- collisions with walls
- a better physics model
- game states and transitions
Although ASRock is generally regarded by computer enthusiasts for producing poor and inadequate motherboards when compared against its rivals, they do manage to manufacture incredibly inexpensive and extremely innovative products. Currently, ASRock offers a combo, dual, and upgrade series – each of which series brings their own unique features. In fact, the focus of this article is the newly unleashed 775Dual-880Pro motherboard that not only supports DDR and DDR2, but also AGP and PCI Express, while supporting Intel’s new dual-core processors! Surprisingly, the motherboard does run quite well under Linux.
A new release of Riotball, a commerical version of the classic Arkanoid, with some new twists has been released.Major changes in this release:
- Complete revamp of the in game art
- Complete rewrite of the user interface
- New continue feature. Now it is possible to resume the game from the level you last lost.
- Numerous gameplay enhancements
- Collision detection bugfix
- Added in game help
Download: [ Riotball 1.5 Demo ]