We’re continuing to work on the soundcode (we’re using OpenAL). Currently, all the soundsare playing (with the exception of streaming sounds),but there are still a few issues with them, such asthe positioning of the 3D sounds not working quiteright as they don’t seem to be fading/panningproperly. Support for playing streaming sounds will bethe next thing to be added in.
Sierra is re-releasing Tribes 2 next week for Win32 at a slashed price, and with more out of the box gameplay. They have released a patch to bring the rest of us up to speed. It has been ported by Sam Lantinga and Mike Phillips, former Loki employees, so everyone send them flowers.
This is the Tribes 2 Linux 25026 update.
This update features content from the Tribes 2 Re-Release Update,adding two original game types, new maps, and updates to addressnumerous performance issues.
The first new game type, Team Rabbit 2, focuses on acrobatic maneuversand sports-style action. For more information on Team Rabbit 2, takea look at Inside_Team_Rabbit_2.txt
The second new game type, Tribes 2 Classic, adds increased speed andintensity to the classic Tribes gametypes. For more information onTribes 2 Classic, take a look at classic/classic_readme.txt
Release Notes: ftp://ftp.lokigames.com/pub/updates/tribes2/tribes2-25026-x86.run.txt
Incremental Patch: ftp://ftp.lokigames.com/pub/updates/tribes2/tribes2-25026-x86.run
Install from CD Patch: ftp://ftp.lokigames.com/pub/updates/tribes2/tribes2-25026-cdrom-x86.run
Pascal Audoux sent in the following regarding a new release of Attal: Lords of Doom.
The Attal’s team is proud to announce the release 0.6 of Attal: Lords of Doom. A lots of features have been added:
The AI can fight (but still don’t move in adventure mode). We handle buildings in bases (can build creatures, other buildings…). Friend lords can exchange some units. Management of some buildings on map (mines…). Graphics for the ‘druidic’ race (buildings and creatures). Begin of management of creatures on map
More info on our website: http://www.attal-thegame.com
Version 0.95 of the ported DOS role playing game Gladiator, Openglad has been released. Changes and or fixes for this release include:
- Code has been cleaned up considerably.
- Many megs of memory leaks were plugged.
- A new graphics engine for pixel doubling was implemented.
- Better file finding.
- Command line parsing.
- Fading support.
- Many many many bug fixes
Santiago Radeff sent in news of a new release of Pachi el marciano. Changes include:
Some tiles were smoothed, so the game now looks a bit less blocky. The “compile” script was converted to use the GNU auto tools. The main menu’s “CODE” option is now available and working fine, but there are no levels with code yet. Lots of screenshots were added to the site. The ChangeLog was added to the site.
Jay Moore of Garage Games sent in the following:
Indie Developers Roundtable – Blender:How can indie developers leverage an Open Source Blender?
Eugene, OR – The second Indie Developers Roundtable, Sept. 26th 2pm (PDT)hosted on IRC (www.maxgaming.net – #Garagegames) with top level panelistsfrom the Blender and “Indie” community. James Hills of CyPRMedia(www.cyprmedia.com) will moderate the chat. Discussions will highlight whatkinds of projects are possible, how to work with the Blender Foundation aswell as what projects are already in the works.
Read the full release here.
[Sept 20 2002] We now have some simple sounds working in the game. There are still issues to work out, but various in-game sounds (such as gui sounds, footstep sounds, and combat sounds) are playing. We’ve also managed to fix up most of the remaining known input and graphical glitches. 2 new screenshots have been added below.
Several people sent in word that Teamspeak has released a Linux client release candidate of their online voice over IP kit.
Today we release the release candidate 1 of the linux client. It weighs a hefty 15 MB, because we had to add a complete binary qt2 library in order to ensure that this client will run on every linux target we support. It has all functions that the windows client has, EXCEPT for all the key interception routines. That means there are no push-to-talk or key-bind capabilities. This will be added later, if possible.
Download: http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/tuxpaint/Two new discussion mailing lists have been created for the Tux Paintproject:
Internationalization, translation, localization discussion…
For artists/photographers to discuss and share new graphics for the rubber-stamp tool.
Version 0.5.5 of the Pygame-based Dance Dance Revolution clone pyDDR has been released. Changes and or fixes for this release include:
- big major happy framerate improvement, even with backgrounds enabled
- arrow coloring is no longer off for TRICK/MANIAC if BASIC ends offbeat
- new message for impatient people before song selector starts =]
- SONG SORTING IN SONG SELECTOR
- option “sortmode” in config file to pick a default sorting mode
- option “sortpersist” can keep/ditch sortmode upon next songselect
- can sort by file, song, group, bpm, difficulty, or mix – (values 0-5)
- new STEP file option “mix” to specify mix for song
- DWI2STEP improved
- “origddr” theme changed names to “classic”
- included pyDDR music (loading and menu songs) are now OGG Vorbis (smaller)
The Linux installer is included on Disc 3 of the 3 CD set! We support both client and server for Linux. Unfortunately there’s no mention of Linux on the box because we didn’t know it would be done in time so please tell all your Linux gaming friends that UT2003 is ready for them!
In the meantime, you can still grab the Linux demo (and patch) from here. Thanks to all the people who wrote in with this news.
- pixel-perfect collision detection
- autotool (configure) support
- automatic generation of isometric tiles
- improved performance
- encoding of user defined data into the sprite engine’s data files
- bug fixes
Kyra 1.6.4 downloads: @ www.grinninglizard.com
- double clicking on user name to populate chat line with /w username
- auto completion to common part of nick complete matching
- d20 and 3rd Edition character sheet fixes
- updated user guide
OpenRPG 1.3.1 downloads: @ sf.net
- minor bugfixes concerning the network, core algorithm, and GUI
- now possible to fix a minimum map resolution; any map below this limit is automatically magnified, so all the small legacy maps from ancient versions are much more fun to play on modern computers
Liquid War 5.5.7 downloads: @ www.ufoot.org