John Carmack updated his .plan to announce the hiring of Robert Duffy to maintain id’s various tools for Quake 3 and beyond (which prompted Carmack to note that he aims to make the Q3 level editor cross-platform). His latest worklog was also attached:
We have hired Robert Duffy as a full time employee, starting inDecember.
He has been maintaining the level editor since the release of Q2,but a number of things have convinced me it is time to have afull time tool-guy at id.
The original QE4 editor was my very first ever Win32 program, andwhile Robert has done a good job of keeping it on life supportthrough necessary extensions and evolutions, it really is pastits designated lifespan.
I want to take a shot at making the level editor cross platform, so it can be used on linux and mac systems. I’m not exactlyconfident that it will work out, but I want to try.
Many of the content creation tasks seem to be fairly stabilizedover the last several years, and our next product is going to bepretty content directed, so I can justify more engineeringeffort on writing better tools.
It is time for a re-think of the relationships between editor,utilities, and game. I am still an opponent of in-game editors,but I want to rearrange a lot of things so that some subsystemscan be shared.
All of that added up to more than I was going to be able to doin the time left after the various research, graphics, andnetworking things I want to pursue.
* added r_speeds timing info to cinematic texture uploads
* fixed loop sounds on movers
* new bfg sound
* “sv_pure 1″ as default, requires clients to only get data from pk3 files the server is using
* fixed fog pass on inside of textured fog surfaces
* properly fog sprites
* graphics for scoreboard headers
* show colored names on attacker display and scoreboard
* made “no such frame” a developer only warning
* count a disconnect while losing in tournement mode as a win for the other player
* fixed running with jump held down runs slow
* draw “connection problems” in center of screen in addition to phone jack icon
* cut marks properly on non-convex faces
* fixed bug with command completion partial match and case sensitivity
* fixed console dropping on level start
* fixed frags left feedback after restarts
* fog after dlight
* removed fogged stages from shader, dynamically generate
* removed fogonly shader keyword, infer from surfaceparm
* removed uneeded reinit of shader system on vid_restart