Following up is version 8.40 of the professional flight simulator X-Plane with probably the longest beta test to date. The installer fetches a demo which lacks the Global Scenery graphics as always if the full version is not installed.
Some of the improvements are:
- New option for retractable wings.
- New battery/solar-power options.
- User-controllable spring and damping constants for the landing gear.
- New EFIS elements.
- The navaids in X-Plane can now be edited in the MAP screen.
- Hot and hung starts in the engine failure screen. w00t!
- You can easily grab and launch the latest installer from the “About:Current and Latest Version” menu selection.
- Now you start again at the airport where you landed last or crashed nearby.
- Seatbelt and gear switches make the little bing-sound. :-)
- The weather presets in the set weather screen now can set the clouds as well as the visibility.
- New flying car design in the “Austin’s Designs” folder.
- Citing Austin “more Power” Meyers: “The “drop anchor” function on the seaplanes where you drop anchor by hitting (OR LEAVING ON) the brakes is now GONE. Nobody understood it. Everybody kept dropping anchor and then wondering why they could not move their seaplanes, and the planes pulled to the side as if… as if… AS IF THEY WERE DRAGGING AN ANCHOR FROM THE NOSE! This feature was nothing but trouble. It’s now GONE.”
- “SAVE button in the file saving dialog, in case you do not guess that you can save by hitting enter.” All in all more idiot proof.
- Some bugfixes and other improvements.