Oolite, developed as an homage to Elite, has a new stable release: version 1.62. Elite was an open-ended space trading/combat game; Oolite follows in Elite’s footsteps, but with OpenGL graphics, expansion packs (new ships and missions can be created with a text editor and free 3D design packages) and new equipment which wasn’t available in the original Elite. Changes:
- New and improved equipment.
- Overhauled collision physics.
- Ships entering hyperspace now leave temporary witchspace wormholes between systems.
- Improvements to gameplay including new scripting routines and enhancements to ships’ AIs.
- Better compatibility with the vast range of Oolite Expansion Packs
- Many more bugfixes and improvements to gameplay.