Here be the scoop!:
Finally here is a new stable release of Crystal Space!
This version has changed a huge deal compared to 0.96 (there is a document in the appendix explaining how to cope with the changes). In general Crystal Space has become faster and more mature. One important thing in this release is that the new renderer architecture is much more usable. It is still not enabled as default because some important parts are still missing but if you only need OpenGL and don’t depend on volumetric fog then I strongly recommend using the new renderer architecture (instructions on that can be found in the documentation).
The most important change in this release is the maturation of the new renderer architecture
Crystal Space is an open-source 3D engine project. Additional changes:
- Another important highlight is support for cal3d models (skeletal animation).
- With the new renderer there is a new terrain engine that supports modern features like splatting (combining multiple textures dynamically) and scattering.
- The VOS project has put in a VOS networking plugin in CS.
- Crystal Space is now using ‘jam’ to build. We still provide ‘make’ compatibility by having a ‘make compatibility layer’ but in general we recommend using ‘jam’ for CS and also your own projects (unless you use MSVC).
- The OPCODE collision detection plugin has been fixed so that it is now used as default by walktest. OPCODE has no restrictions to commercial usage (as opposed to RAPID), is faster, and uses less memory.
- The Dynavis visibility culler has been improved.
- Lots of other bug fixes and enhancements.
- Documentation has been updated and enhanced
Crystal Space 0.98r002 Download: [ sourceforge.net ]