Toys for Bob is pleased to announce that we will be re-releasing “The Ur-Quan Masters”, for modern operating systems. We will be using the 3DO version as our starting point, and although we don’t have all the details worked out, just yet, we can share with you some of our goals (many of which were suggested by fans of the game. Thanks!):
- We plan to support Mac (both classic and OSX), Linux, and Windows.
- The game will be available free of charge.
- Players will be able to choose between text and voices.
- We’re looking into the possibility of allowing for independant creation of language plug-ins.
- Data, such as graphics, fonts, music, voices, sound effects, and the script will be loaded from standard filetypes. This will allow fans to choose between classic music and 3DO music, or even import their own modifications into the game.
- Improved support for modern gamepads.
- We’re looking into 2-player supermelee over the internet… Cross your fingers!
This list is by no means complete, and we’ll continue to release more information as it becomes available. If you have any comments, we’d love to hear from you, and we’ll be checking the comments at http://www.star-control.com/ on a regular basis.
Looking through the past news at star-control.com, it looks like the port will be using SDL, but just over a week ago TFB was asking for feedback on how well SDL worked. If any of you SDL coders have some advice for the TFB team, head on over to the forum regarding SDL and SC2.
Thanks, Judecca, for pointing this out.