What’s probably my favorite Linux game from the past year, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, is now at version 0.6.0! It’s a roguelike game that comes in graphical and console flavors (don’t eat it), and is fairly easy to get the hang of. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still a roguelike and you’ll probably die a thousand painful deaths (I was killed by bee stings once), but there’s a tutorial and many, many character combinations to suit different play styles.
The changelog includes:
- Removed Divinations spell school.
- Three new gods: Jiyva, Fedhas, Cheibriados.
- Altars for dungeon gods may now appear on levels 2 to 9 instead of the Temple.
- New water based branch: the Shoals, sometimes replacing Swamp or Snake Pit.
- Overhauled AC/EV system. In particular, effect of Dexterity on EV is uncapped.
- Strength has a much greater effect on carrying capacity.
- Slime creatures and ugly things are more interesting and dangerous.
- Many cool new monsters, portal vaults and ammunition brands.
If you don’t want to or can’t install the client, you can play online via SSH @ crawl.akrasiac.org.
Download: [ develz.org ]