Version 1.9.0 of FlightGear, an open source flight simulator, has been released. Major new developments and features in this release includes the following:
- Major overhaul of the graphics code. FlightGear 1.9.0 makes use of the OpenSceneGraph library
- Easy setup of multidisplay systems using multiple OpenSceneGraph “Cameras” driven by one single instance of FlightGear.
- Multithreaded 3D model loader leads to much smoother performance
- New particle system based precipitation code
- configurable XML particle animations for smoke, spray, fire, etc
- New dynamically configurable 3D Clouds.
- pick animations, which allow for better clickable instrument panels
- multiplayer specific on-screen menu
- AI code can generate wingmen
- At selected airports, it is now possible to start at a predefined parking position, as an alternative to starting at the runway.
- Support for Lighter than air vehicles
- Shader based tree rendering. This new feature allows For much denser tree density without any frame rate loss.
- Support for jpg and png textures
- A new multikey command mode, where multiple key strokes can be combined to form a command.
- Detailed buildings at various airports and major cities around the world
- Scenery can be kept up-to-date by downloading it from and SVN repository using TerraSync
- Over 200 Aircraft are now available for separate download.
Download: [ FlightFear 1.9.0 ]
This post was submitted by jay.