Oolite, developed as an homage to Elite, has a new stable release: version 1.65. Elite was an open-ended space trading/combat game; Oolite follows in Elite’s footsteps, but with OpenGL graphics, expansion packs (new ships and missions can be created with a text editor and free 3D design packages) and new equipment which wasn’t available in the original Elite (thanks Linux Game Tome). Changes:
- High resolution collision detection.
- More new equipment for players to add to their ships.
- External views of the player’s ship.
- Scooped escape pods now pay rewards and ransoms for their rescue.
- Many enhancements to the graphics, explosions and data screens.
- Improvements to the intelligence of AI opponents and expanded scripting.
- Many bugfixes and improvements to gameplay.
Download: [ berlios.de ]